*Top Hitter of the Day*
- Jack Suwinski, LF – Lake Elsinore Storm – San Diego Padres3-4, 2 HR (2), 2R, 4RBi, BBThe 2016 – 15th rounder out of Taft HS (Chicago) came into Monday’s contest with Lancaster with four hits. He left Monday with three more. Suwinski went 3-for-4, swatting his first two home runs on the season. His first, a 2-run shot coming in the top of the 3rd, then a solo blast in the 7th. Suwinksi is only 20 years old, yet sits inside the best overall minor league system in the game. I won’t go out on a limb and say that if he played for another organization that he might be a top 30 prospect. After all, he currently possesses a .243 career batting average with 21 home runs and 113 RBi. Not earth shattering, but you can’t totally ignore that the 6’2″- 2-5 lb. lefty is having a solid season so far in the Cal League.
- Joey Bart, C – San Jose Giants 2-4, HR (1), 2B, 3R, 3RBi, BB, K Bart came into 2019 as the Giants #1 prospect. In fact, he’s not only San Francisco’s crown prospect jewel, but all of minor league baseball’s top catching prospect. Bart clubbed his first (of what could/should be many) home run(s) last night, helping San Jose to a 10-1 defeat of the now 1-4 Stockton Ports (OAK).
- Luis Robert, CF – Winston-Salem Dash – Chicago White Sox2-4, HR (4), 2B, 2R, 2RBiYou have to give credit where credit is due no matter how much you might sound like a broken record. Pound-for-pound, there hasn’t been a better hitter in Hi and LoA than Robert so far this season. He’s collected two hits in four of his five games this season, with the exception of the second game of the April 6 double-header versus Frederick when he went 3-5 including his first double of the season. At this pace, I give it till the late-April, early-May when the organization finally pulls the trigger on a promotion to Double-A Birmingham.
- J.C. Escarra, 1B – Frederick Keys – Baltimore Orioles3-4, HR (2), 2B, R, 3RBi, 2BB
Florida State League:
- Edgar Cabral, C – Clearwater Threshers – Philadelphia Phillies2-4, HR (2), R, RBi
- Riley Mahan, 2B – Jupiter Hammerheads – Miami Marlins0-4, 3KDon’t let Mahan’s current bookend 0-4’s fool you. The 6’3″- 185 lb. out of the University of Kentucky (2017 – 3rd round) collected five hits across a three game span (April 5-7) highlighted by a two-homer game against Palm Beach on April 6.
- Calvin Mitchell, RF – Bradenton Marauders – Pittsburgh Pirates3-5, 3B, R, RBI, 3K
- Justin Toerner, RF – Palm Beach Cardinals – St. Louis Cardinals3-4, 2B, R
- Nolan Gorman, 3B – Peoria Chiefs – St. Louis Cardinals2-5, 2 HR (2), 2R, 5RBi, K Much like Chicago’s Luis Robert above, Gorman has been on a scorching pace to begin 2019. The Cardinals 2018 – 1st round draft pick belted two home runs last night, marking his fourth multi-home run game of his career. It may not be long before the Florida State League total base leader packs his bags for Double-A Springfield.
- Trey Cabbage, OF – Cedar Rapids Kernels – Minnesota Twins1-4, HR (2), R, RBi, K
South Atlantic League: