National League – Top Hitter of the Day:
- Buddy Reed, CF – HiA Lake Elsinore Storm (SD) – Cal League4-4, HR (8), 2B, 3R, 2SB (22,23)
- With stolen base number 23 last night, the 2016 – 2nd rounder out of the University of Florida pulls into a tie for second place for most steals in all the minors. He sits side by side with Angels prospect Luis Rengifo, yet has a ways to go to reach Houston Astros prospect Myles Straw, who currently has 31 steals for Double-A Corpus Christi.
American League – Top Hitter of the Day:
- Hunter Hargrove, 1B – LoA Beloit Snappers (OAK) – Midwest League4-5, 3 HR (1,2,3), 2B, 3R, 7 RBi
- The 25th rounder out of Texas Tech University (2017) hit one more home run last night than he had all last season with the AZL squad and the Vermont Lake Monsters of the New York-Penn League. Hargrove’s performance yesterday was one of the biggest lines I’ve reported so far this season.
Notes on LAD’s McKinstry and Tampa Bay’s Gomez
Cristian Pache, CF – HiA Florida FireFrogs (ATL) – Florida State League2-5, 2RBi, 3SB (2,3,4)
- Dalton Guthrie, 3B – LoA Lakewood BlueClaws (PHI) – Sally League2-4, HR (3), 2B, 2R, RBi, BB
- Jhonny Bethencourt, 3B – LoA South Bend SilverHawks (CHC) – Midwest League3-5, 2 2B, 2R, 5RBi
- Christian Donahue, 2B – LoA South Bend SilverHawks (CHC) – Midwest League4-5, 2B, 3R
- Jay Feliciano, DH – LoA Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (MIL) – Midwest League2-4, HR (2), R, 3RBi
- Zach McKinstry, SS – LoA Great Lakes Loons (LAD) – Midwest League4-5, 3B, 2B, RBi, K
- I don’t want to jump ahead here, but it’s worth taking note that McKinstry, a 33rd round draft pick out of Central Michigan (2016), is batting .419. I know it’s only 15 games and 43 at-bats and he’s above the median age for the level, but anytime a kid starts off a season this way, it’s worthy of at least some attention.
- Jared Walker, 1B – LoA Great Lakes Loons (LAD) – Midwest League2-5, HR (7), 3B, R, 2RBi
- Moises Perez, 2B – LoA Great Lakes Loons (LAD) – Midwest League2-4, 3B, 2R, 2RBi, K
- Carlos Belen, 1B – LoA Fort Wayne TinCaps (SD) – Midwest League4-4, HR (5), 2B, 3R, 2RBi, BB
- Jalen Washington, C – LoA Fort Wayne TinCaps (SD) – Midwest League2-4, 3B, 2B, 2R, 2RBi, BB
- Moises Gomez, LF – LoA Bowling Green Hot Rods (TB) – Midwest League2-4, HR (4), 2R, RBi
- Gomez continues his methodical climb through the Rays system. Signed as a international free agent out of Venezuela in 2015, he debuted with the now defunct VSL squad of the Venezuelan Summer League and batted .317 with six home runs, 38 runs scored and nine steals in 47 games; as a 16 year old. And each season he’s advanced a level. He struggled in his sophomore season with the GCL (.220/.273/.327/.601), but has redounded over his last two seasons (2018 included) batting a combined .289 with nine home runs 56 runs scored and 54 runs batted in. He’s still a teenager. Keep an eye on him.
- Kevin Smith, SS/3B – LoA Lansing Lugnuts (TOR) – Midwest League2-6, 3B, R, 2RBi, SB (12)
- Brandon Grudzielanek, DH – LoA Lansing Lugnuts (TOR) – Midwest League4-5, 3B, 3R, RBi, BB, K
- Matt Morgan, C – LoA Lansing Lugnuts (TOR) – Midwest League4-5, R, 3RBi
- Emmanuel Tapia, 1B – HiA Lynchburg Hillcats (CLE) – Carolina League3-4, HR (4), 2B, R, RBi
- Ronnie Dawson, CF – HiA Buies Creek Astros (HOU) – Carolina League2-4, HR (5), R, RBi, SB (16)
- Miguelangel Sierra, SS – LoA Quad Cities River Bandits (HOU) – Midwest League3-4, HR (2), 2B, 3R, 4RBi
- Bryan De La Cruz, DH – LoA Quad Cities River Bandits (HOU) – Midwest League2-2, 2 2B, R, 3RBi, BB
- Kevin Williams, RF – LoA Burlington Bees (LAA) – Midwest League2-4, HR (2), R, 3RBi, K
- Luis Liberato, LF – HiA Modesto Nuts (SEA) – Cal League2-5, 2 HR (1,2), 2R, 3RBi, 2K
- Johnny Adams, SS – LoA Clinton LumberKings (SEA) – Midwest League3-4, HR (4), 2R, 3RBi
- Anderson Tejeda, SS – HiA Down East Wood Ducks (TEX) – Carolina League2-3, HR (6), R, 2RBi, K
- Melvin Novoa, C – HiA Down East Wood Ducks (TEX) – Carolina League2-3, HR (2), R, 2RBi