- Anderson just turned 20 last week and is starting to click with the Fire Frogs. The first round pick in 2016 had a rough end to April ( 8 ER in 5.1 IP), but has now thrown two scoreless outings in a row.
- Take away the first start in April and the 12th rounders (2016) start last week (14 ER in 8.2 IP combined), Plesac has been lights out. Minus those two outings, the 6’3″ 200 lb righty has only allowed 3 earned runs over 28 innings with 9 hits. The Ball State alum has only seen past the 5th inning twice in 20 appearances (19 starts) before making a complete game start last night.
LoA Mentions – Starters LHP Patrick Sandoval (LoA Quad Cities – Houston) 21 years old 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 4.85 ERA, Win 2-1 LHP Lucas Gilbreath (LoA Asheville – Colorado) 22 years old 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 2.22 ERA, Loss 1-1 LHP Josh Fleming ( LoA Bowling Green – Tampa Bay) 21 years old 5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 0.00 ERA, Win 1-0
- 5th round pick from last year makes his first full season start and the win after making 12 appearances (9 starts) at Princeton of the Appy League in 2017.
- Vargas looked sharp in his 2018 debut at Double-A Trenton, but was sent down to HiA Tampa, where he made one relief appearance. Strangely, he now finds himself at Charleston after RHP Nick Nelson was promoted to Tampa.
HiA Mentions – Starters RHP Chris Paddack (HiA Lake Elsinore – San Diego) 22 years old 4 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K, 0.00 ERA
- Those of us who have tracked Paddack have been waiting for this season, and he has us right back where we were in 2016. For me, it actually dates back to 2015, where my system touched on the 8th round pick (2015) pitching in the Marlins system (Gulf Coast League). He easily became my 2016 “One to Watch” for the Fish, but was dealt to the Padres mid-season that year. He went down after 3 starts at LoA Fort Wayne with Tommy John surgery and missed all of last season. We cant wait to see him after the kid gloves are removed, as we get into the meat of the 2018 season. After six scoreless innings in his debut last week, Paddack only goes 4 innings last night; same results (no runs), and striking out nine.
National League – Relief RHP Marshall Kasowski (LoA Great Lakes – LA Dodgers) 23 years old 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 1.84 ERA, Hold (1)
- Over last 11 innings, Kasowski has only allowed one earned run while striking out 23 and allowing 3 walks.