TOP NL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Jesse Scholtens (HiA Lake Elsinore – San Diego) 23 years old 7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, Win Season Stats: 3-3, 2.60 ERA, 65.2 IP, 56 H, 19 ER, 17 BB, 67 K in 11 appearances
- Since his promotion to Lake Elsinore in mid-May, Scholtens’ stats are similar to those posted at LoA Fort Wayne. With the TinCaps, the 9th round pick (2016) went 1-2 with a 2.45 ERA and 37 strikeouts and 9 walks over 36.2 innings. The 6’4″ 230 lb right-hander was solid last night in his 5th HiA start with 7 scoreless innings and seems to be handling the hitter friendly California League just fine. This is Scholtens third UTR-POD mention – April 6th, May 27th and was my Padres Top UTR Pitcher for May.
- The Braves 5th ranked pitching prospect continues to work on things, in a season filled with inconsistencies.
- Richards didn’t get the start last night, as he step aside to allow Junichi Tarawa to make a rehab appearance. I usually enter these “post-rehab” appearances as a relief appearance in my spreadsheet, just for reference when I do my post-season work. But Richards has been the hottest UTR pitcher within the Marlins system, of late. Recently added to the Florida State All-Star team, the Top UTR Pitcher for May posted his second scoreless outing last night. Taking away his start on May 22nd where gave up 4 ER in 6 innings, Richards has only allowed 3 ER in 30.1 innings. He also has posted a 7:1 K:BB ratio over that time.
TOP AL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Zack Littell (HiA Tampa – New York Yankees) 21 years old 6 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, Win Season Stats: 8-1, 1.76 ERA, 66.1 IP, 62 H, 13 ER, 14 BB, 53 K in 12 appearances with 10 starts
- Littell also fits the theme today with similar numbers. The 2015 UTR Organizational All-Star during his time within the Seattle Mariners system, spent the latter portion of 2016 with HiA Bakersfield. Here’s his stat-line after 12 appearances with 11 starts: 8-1, 2.51 ERA, 68 IP, 64 H, 19 ER, 13 BB, 61 K. Now that was again the hitting confines of the California, so should his line show marked improvement in the Flordia State League in his second go-round at the HiA level? Thats up for debate for the 21 year old throwing against hitters over 2 years his senior. From a UTR standpoint, the Yankees made the right choice is getting Littell off the Mariners in November 2016 for James Pazo.
- Raudes lit-up the pages on this site in 2015, on his way to becoming a UTR Organizational All-Star. So much so, I listed him my “One to Watch” for the Red Sox in 2016 and he didn’t disappoint in repeating as a UTR-OAS. By this time, every follower of the minor leagues became aware of Raudes. This season, he’s dipped somewhat into obscurity, but lest we forget he’s one of the youngest pitchers at HiA level. I pegged him as a “Solid Stash” after the 2016 season and he shot-up the Boston prospect list to debut at #6 to start the 2017 season, so keep him on your radar.