TOP NL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Jose Almonte (HiA Visalia – Arizona) 21 years old 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, Win Season Stats: 4-3, 3.40 ERA, 45 IP, 36 H, 17 ER, 28 BB, 57 K in 9 starts
- D-Backs #18 ranked prospect found his way to Arizona from the Boston Red Sox in the Brad Ziegler trade. He had a solid season in full season ball that year (2016) in posting a 8.6 K9 and 2.9 BB9 rates. We currently have seen a nice spike in the K9 rate in 2017 (11.4), but a increase of a 5.6 walk rate. The young Dominican has flirted with double-digit K’s three times this season, finally tacking ten last night for a career-high. His 57 strikeouts in 45 innings placed him behind A.J. Puk (OAK) amongst all HiA pitchers.
- Dodgers # 2 and top pitching prospect
TOP AL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE LHP Cionel Perez (LoA Quad Cities – Houston) 21 years old 7 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, Win Seasons Stats: 3-2, 6.43 ERA, 21 IP, 19 H, 15 ER, 6 BB, 22 K in 5 appearances with 4 starts
- Perez had his longest outing of his pro debut season and set a career-high with 10 K’s in 7 no-hit innings. Check out the game story here.
- Burke hasn’t allowed more than one earn run in any of his 8 starts, which ranks him 4th amongst all LoA pitchers.
- Springs was a 2015 and 2016 UTR Organizational All-Star as a reliever. He’s been afforded the opportunity of making starts with the Wood Ducks rotation and its been a roller-coaster ride. The 30th round pick in 2015 matched his longest outing (6 IP) and career-high strikeouts (10) last night. It was a nice bounce back from his last start on May 16th where he only lasted 0.2 innings and rocked with 7 earned runs.
- Royals #5 ranked prospect
- Athletics #2 and top pitching prospect has the HiA lead in strikeouts (61) in 39.2 innings, a 13.8 K9 rate.
- Has allowed 7 earned runs over 19.2 innings, but only two in his last 12.2 innings. Unfortunately, he’s allowed 7 of his 11 walks over that time too.