TOP NL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Jordan Humphreys (LoA Columbia – New York Mets) 20 years old 6.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 12 K, Win Season Stats: 4-0, 1.42 ERA, 25.1 IP, 15 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 34 K in 4 starts
- Tim Tebow watch is still in full force at Columbia, but Jordan Humphreys is becoming the talk of the South Atlantic League. A high school arm taken in 18th round in 2015, Humphreys now leads the SALLY with 34 strikeouts. He set a career (and franchise) record with 11 K’s last night, getting 45% of his strikes by whiffs. The 6′ 2″- 225 lb. right-hander bounced on the radar last season when he led the Appy League with 76 strikeouts in 69.1 innings. This is Humphreys second POD mention already this season.
- 10 K’s last night sets a career-high for the 2016 UTR Organizational All-Star
- No runs allowed over 20.1 innings in 4 appearances (3 starts)
TOP AL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Mike Shawaryn (LoA Greenville – Boston) 22 years old 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K Seasons Stats: 1-1, 6.23 ERA, 17.1 IP, 20 H, 5 BB, 27 K in 4 starts
- A solid, polished college pitcher taken out of Maryland in the 5th round last June, Shawaryn was projected to go sometime in the 1st round, but a lousy junior season with the Terps caused him to tumbled to Red Sox. The 6′ 2″- 200 lb right-hander’s stuff is raw, projectable with three near above-average pitches with a low 90’s fastball that tops at 95 mph.
- The 2014 UTR Organizational All-Star has yet to allow any runs over 3 starts to extend his scoreless streak to 17 innings.