TOP NL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Sam McWilliams (LoA Kane County – Arizona) 21 years old 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, Win Season Stats: 2-0, 0.00, 10 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 13 K in 2 starts
- McWilliams came to the D-Backs via the trade when Jeremy Hellickson was sent to the Philadelphia Phillies in November 2015. The right-hander was an 8th round pick in 2014 and the first high schooler taken by the Phillies. Scouting reports prior to the draft indicated that McWilliams was definitely going to be a project. A tall presences on the mound at 6′ 7″ 190 lbs, McWilliams has come a long way and now displays a power arm with a solid above-average curve. In the game last night, his fastball consistently registered in the mid-90’s in getting 8 K’s over 5 IP.
- The Phillies top pitching prospect has shot up the rankings has fast as his 98 mph fastball. Its been so quick, that Sanchez has never appeared my post-season Organizational All-Star rosters over his previous two seasons, though he just missed in 2016. Phillies have challenged him with an assignment to full season LoA in 2017 after only 54 innings in the Gulf Coast League.
- Padres #19 ranked prospect
- Phillies #7 ranked prospect and 2016 UTR-OAS.
- Cubs #24 ranked prospect
TOP AL UTR PITCHING PERFORMANCE RHP Dane Dunning (LoA Kannapolis – Chicago White Sox) 22 years old 8 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 13 K Season Stats: 0-0, 0.64 ERA, 14 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 21 K in 2 starts
- Dunning was involved in the Adam Eaton trade with the Nationals, and some dismissed him as a third cog, since he was included with Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez. Nationals prospect followers are liking what they have seen from Dunning thus far. The White Sox’s #11 ranked prospect captures his second top honor in as many starts. The White Sox have to be elated with this haul of talent. Dunning won’t be long of LoA Kannapolis, as his polish, stuff and maturity will have him at Winston-Salem very soon.
- Red Sox #12 ranked prospect
- Mariners #25 ranked prospect