Reader’s will notice in today’s post that I’m back to the usual format, posting all of the top hitters in every league. Despite the modified format over the last few days, I hope you still enjoyed my offering.
Now, I want to mention how lucky a person I am. One, because I have great friends. Two, have such a great friend and work partner in Jim, and three, how insanely fortunate I’ve been to see great moments at PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
Last season, I took a short UTR HOD breather to take in a ballgame in Pittsburgh. A close friend of mine and I saw the Pirates take on the Cardinals (almost a year to the day) in what was a crucial series for the Buccos. That game will go down as one of the greatest moments I’ve ever personally witnessed on a baseball diamond. Take a look for yourself and see why. Soak in the great Greg Brown’s call….
This weekend had an eerily similar feel. This time it was the the Pirates vs the N.L. Central leading, and World Series favorite, Chicago Cubs. A night after dealing an ever-so-sweet loss to other-worldly hurler Jake Arrieta Friday, Saturday came. As a Pirates fan, all we needed was to take the series. Win two out of three. We can’t push the envelope and get greedy. Let’s just win one more and be happy.
To say Pirate fans went home happy is a severe understatement. Depite losing the final game of the series yesterday 6-5, I was forever blessed with another insanely incredible moment in recent Pirate history Saturday night.
Rookie Josh Bell, whom the Pirates called up from AAA Indianapolis the day prior, notched his first-ever major league hit off of said Jake Arrieta (on the first pitch Bell ever saw as a major leaguer mind you) the night before. This time, Bell stepped up to the plate as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 5th in what was then a 7-5 Pirate lead.
He….well, just see for yourself. Greg Brown once again kills it in the booth. Chills….
“Goosebumps everywhere” is right.
Our hope here at UTRMinors is that the kids we report on everyday provide similar moments. Moments like “Cutch” and Bell provided for fans, their teams and all of us writers, because it’s a stark reminder of why we choose to do what we do.
National League – Top Hitter of the Day
- David Denson, LF – LoA Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (MIL) – Midwest League/Western – 21 yo;
- 4-5, 2 HR (9), 2B, 3R, 3RBi, K
- Sal Giardina, C – HiA Carolina Mudcats (ATL) – Carolina League/Southern – 24 yo;
- 3-4, HR (2), 2R, 2RBi
- Ranfy Adon, CF – GCL Mets (NYM) – Gulf Coast League/East – 18 yo;
- 2-5, HR (2), 2R, 4RBi, BB, K
- David Bote, 2B – HiA Myrtle Beach Pelicans (CHC) – Carolina League/Southern – 23 yo;
- 2-4, HR (2/3), 3B, R, 2RBi, BB, K
- Clint Coulter, RF – HiA Brevard County Manatees (MIL) – Florida State League/North – 22 yo;
- 5-6, HR (5), 2B, 3R, 2RBi
- Mitch Ghelfi, C – LoA Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (MIL) – Midwest League/Western – 23 yo;
- 4-5, 2 2B, 3R, RBi
- Luis Aviles, 2B – LoA Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (MIL) – Midwest League/Western – 21 yo;
- 2-4, HR (4), 2B, 3R, 2RBi, BB, K
- Casey Hughston, CF – LoA West Virginia Power (PIT) – Sally League/Northern – 22 yo;
- 2-3, HR (5), 2R, RBi, BB, 2 SB (10)
- Dylan Tice, 3B – SS State College Spikes (STL) – New York-Penn League/Pinckney – 23 yo;
- 2-4, HR (2/2), 3R, 2RBi, K, SB (2/2)
- Jose Gomez, SS – Rookie Grand Junction Rockies (COL) – Pioneer League/South – 19 yo;
- 3-5, HR (1), 2B, R, 3RBi
- Omar Estevez, SS – LoA Great Lakes Loons (LAD) – Midwest League/Eastern – 18 yo;
- 2-4, HR (5), R, 4RBi, K
American League – Top Hitter of the Day
- Jackson Glines, LF – Rookie Great Falls Voyagers (CWS) – Pioneer League/North – 24 yo;
- 4-6, HR (1), 2B, 3R, 6RBi
- Aderlin Rodriguez, 1B – HiA Frederick Keys (BAL) – Carolina League/Northern – 24 yo;
- 3-5, 2 HR (16), 2R, 3RBi, 2K
- Drew Bridges, 3B – SS Staten Island Yankees (NYY) – New York-Penn League/McNamara – 21 yo;
- 3-5, HR (3/4), 2B, R, 4RBi
- Eleardo Cabrera, RF – Rookie Princeton Rays (TB) – Appy League/East – 20 yo;
- 3-4, 2 2B, 3R, 3RBi, BB, SB (2)
- Alex Call, CF – Rookie Great Falls Voyagers (CWS) – Pioneer League/North – 21 yo;
- 2-5, HR (3), 2B, 3R, RBi, 3K
- Li-Jen Chu, C – AZL Indians (CLE) – Arizona League/Central – 22 yo;
- 4-5, 3B, 2 2B, 2R, 3RBi, K
- Joey Pankake, 2B – HiA Lakeland Flying Tigers (DET) – Florida State League/North – 23 yo;
- 1-3, HR (14), 2R, 4RBi, BB
- Meibrys Viloria, C – Rookie Idaho Falls Chukars (KC) – Pioneer League/South – 19 yo;
- 5-5, HR (4), 2B, 2R, 3RBi
- Jason Martin, CF – HiA Lancaster Jethawks (HOU) – Cal League/South – 20 yo;
- 2-5, HR (16), 2R, RBi, 3BB
- Brooks Marlow, 2B – HiA Lancaster Jethawks (HOU) – Cal League/South – 23 yo;
- 3-5, HR (4/6), 2B, R, 6RBi, 2K
- Ryan Scott, C – Rookie Orem Owls (LAA) – Pioneer League/South – 21 yo;
- 2-4, HR (1/1), 2B, 2R, 2RBi, BB, K
- Kyle Lewis, CF – SS Everett AquaSox (SEA) – Northwest League/North – 20 yo;
- 3-5, 3B, 2B, R, 4RBi
- Yeyson Yrizarri, SS – LoA Hickory Crawdads (TEX) – Sally League/Northern – 19 yo;
- 3-5, HR (5), R, 4RBi, 2 SB (16)
- Darius Day, CF – SS Spokane Indians (TEX) – Northwest League/North – 21 yo;
- 2-4, HR (2/2), 3B, 2R, 2RBi, BB, 2K