Just as we do near the end of every minor league season, we are announcing that today’s August 8 Daily will be our final post of the regular season. As Jim works toward completing his post from yesterday’s games, we are also working on a possible reformatting of our off-season Organizational All-Star series. Brainstorming is at peak, still in progress and we have yet to decide whether to go fully in one direction or the other when it comes to posting either full team reports or to remain parallel to our daily posts and lean toward all-stars in the “per-league” sense. Either way, our off-season will be geared toward giving readers THE best names we can, as always. As 2017 was a down year for UTR hitters, this season more than made up for it. A considerable amount of hitter‘s production far exceeded their post draft hype. In essence, those are the core elements that truly define what an under-the-radar prospect is.
As soon as we complete our off-season posting schedule, we will inform readers with specific dates, so be prepared to mark your calendars.
We hope you enjoyed each daily post and we can only wish that our off-season work will bring equal amount of success. Stay tuned and thank you.
– National League – Top Hitter of the Day –
- Braxton Davidson, 1B – HiA Florida FireFrogs (ATL) – Florida State League2-3, 2 HR (17,18), 3R, 4RBi, 2BB
– American League – Top Hitter of the Day –
- Brandon Howlett, 3B – GCL Red Sox (BOS) – Gulf Coast League2-4, HR (4), 2B, 2R, 5RBi, K
National League – Top Hitter of the Day –
- Malcom Nunez, 3B – DSL Cardinals Blue (STL) – Dominican Summer League
- 3-5, 2 HR (5,6), 2B, 2R, 8RBi, K
- The 17-year-old Havana, Cuba native is riding a 20 game hit streak and has gone hitless in only two games this season (July 5 vs. DSL Twins & July 12 vs. DSL Nationals). Pound-for-pound, there currently is not a more productive prospect in the Dominican Summer League. The presently unranked Cardinals prospect leads the league in OPS (1.283), batting (.438) and on-base percentage (.512) in only 28 games.
American League – Top Hitter of the Day –
- Nathan Eaton, 3B/RF – Pioneer League All-Stars
- 5-5, 3B, 2B, 4R, 2RBi
- If it wasn’t for Rockies prospect Coco Montes (who you’ll see below) and his two home runs in last night’s Pioneer League/Northwest League All-Star game, there’s no doubt that Eaton’s five hit night would have garnered MVP honors. We love first’s here at UTRMinors and since the inception of the site, this is the first time a hitter has earned THOD honors after playing in an all-star game. The most exciting thing about Eaton and Montes is that both are firmly entrenched within under-the-radar talk. Eaton entered the Kansas City organization as a 21st rounder, while Montes joined the Colorado system in the 15th round, both in 2018 and both lead the Pioneer League in several stat categories: Montes leads the league with 68 hits, 108 total bases and batting (.382), while Eaton paces the league with 8 triples, and ranks within the top five in walks (26), stolen bases (12), OBP (.436), batting (.340) and OPS (1.007).
*The South Atlantic (Sally), New York-Penn (NYPL) and Northwest League’s had a scheduled day off yesterday*
National League – Top Hitter of the Day
- Jesus Valdez, 3B – DSL Dodgers Guerrero (LAD) – Dominican Summer League
- 4-5, 2 HR (5,6), 3R, 5RBi, SB (14)
American League – Top Hitter of the Day
- Royce Lewis, SS – HiA Fort Myers Miracle (MIN) – Florida State League
- 4-6, 2 HR (2,3/12), 3R, 5RBi, K